* £385 per day, FT Role, 6+ months
* Qualified management accountant with Bedford Borough Council
* Local authority experience
* Based at Bedford Hall, Bedford
* Responsible for 3 Finance Advisors within the Environment directorate.
- Provision of a high quality financial management service to Services including as a core
(i) budget preparation
(ii) financial advice
(iii) budget monitoring
(iv) closure of accounts.
Preparation, presentation of reports and financial information and direct support to Portfolio Holders, Directors, Assistant Chief Executives/Assistant Directors and Heads of Service.
- Budget Preparation
(i) support the service aspects of the annual revenue budget process
(ii) support the medium term capital programme from a service perspective
(iii) provide financial advice and guidance on medium term service / financial developments
(iv) support the service planning process taking a lead on all financial outcomes – in particular value for money and the efficiency agenda.
- Provide support and a robust challenge throughout the financial year in relation to Revenue and Capital budget monitoring complying at all times with agreed timetables. Support Budget Managers through direct contact and responding to budget queries arising in a timely manner. Reconcile the service Establishment to that approved as part of the budget process.
- Support the closure of accounts incorporating the requirements of the Head of Finance at all times complying with agreed timetables. Ensure all Grants, Statistical Returns and other Returns are made to the appropriate standard and within agreed timescales. Ensure at all times that working papers are at an appropriate standard as determined.
- Lead on service specific returns, for example PSSEXE1. Lead on unit cost work that enables the service to develop alternative delivery models. Support the Principal Accountant in relation to work with third parties.
- Review and advise on the financial implications of new legislation and regulations relating to the service area as directed by the Principal Accountant
- Support and take a lead as appropriate on specific projects within the service area as directed by the Principal Accountant.
- Undertake any other appropriate duties of a similar level of responsibility.
- Advise the Council on its financial and administrative codes of practice;
- Lead and manage the financial advice provided, incorporating guidance and training to the Council’s budget holders (approx. 200 across the Council);
- Make decisions on use of staffing resources in team;
- Allocate work to them;
- Manage relationship between the team and others, including Members, Key Partners and other stakeholders across the Council.
- Work carried out by the Principal Accountants of a routine or clearly guided nature will be largely unsupervised. The post holder will ensure that targets set for overall work are achieved, and that quality of work output is maintained.
- Work of a less routine nature and drafting of committee reports will attract more direct supervision from the Head of Finance to ensure that objectives set are achieved in the most appropriate way.
- Best practice procedures will be employed to develop staff to full potential via professional standards.
- The post-holder will meet regularly with the Head of Finance and Assistant Chief Executive (CFO), to ensure that the overall work plans being achieved.
- Appropriate Committee Members
- Employing Bodies – this includes Directors of Finance of such Bodies
- Government departments
- Professional Bodies
- External auditors
- Other public bodies.
* CCAB Qualified - CIPFA/ACCA/CIMA
* CPD participation
* Good communication skills
* Ability to analyse, interpreted communicate complex financial information
* Be able to prioritise and manage resources in order to meet objectives
* Professional manner
* Commitment to work with key stakeholders
* Local authority experience
* Advanced Excel
* Experience in year-end process.
* Aggresso system experience
* Experience working within an Environment directorate within a local authority
* Capital & revenue accounting experience.